The Junior League of Austin welcomes all women who value our mission. We are committed to inclusive environments of individuals, organizations and communities.
JLA D&I Committee Vision:
The Junior League of Austin’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee works to highlight and celebrate our diverse and unique membership, while also ensuring our League’s future efforts reflect our firm commitment to Diversity & Inclusion.
JLA D&I Committee Make-Up:
Our committee is made up of dynamic women, both Active and Sustaining Advisors, who each bring her own life experiences and points of view to the League. Our Active members have a combined total of 45 Active years in the League (and counting!), as well as diverse perspectives from a broad range of experiences and industries, ranging from graphic design, to the legal and medical professions, to financial services, to senior levels of corporate management in Fortune 500 companies, and many more in between.
JLA D&I Committee Vision:
The JLA Diversity and Inclusion Committee has established the following strategic objectives to guide us as we work to ensure all women feel welcomed and valued in The Junior League of Austin:
- Diversity – Cultivate the representation of racial, ethnic, religious, LGBTQIA+, and socioeconomic diversity
- Inclusion – Create an engaging environment where all members are warmly welcomed and feel a sense of belonging
- Education – Create training, processes, annual plans and programs to meet the diverse needs of JLA’s membership in partnership with other Committees
- Communication – Ensure that Diversity & Inclusion initiatives, actions and results are transparent to membership and the Austin community
- Accountability – Hold leadership accountable for achieving meaningful Diversity & Inclusion goals and objectives in addition to recognizing accomplishments. Partner with leadership to embed diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our League and be a champion for diversity, equity and inclusion outside of the League.
- Development of a 5-year Strategic Plan.
- Creation of a comprehensive training catalog to foster a culture that promotes a welcoming and inclusive environment for prospective and current members of JLA.
- Improvements to recruitment outreach and expansion programs of underrepresented groups of women.
- Creation of affinity groups.
- Establishment of a D&I Book Club
Additional Content and Resources:
- The Association of Junior Leagues International Diversity and Inclusion Information
- The Junior League of Austin’s 2020–2021 Suggested Reading List:
- Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think, and Do
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
- 20 Picture Books for 2020: Readings to Embrace Race, Provide Solace & Do Good
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America (National Book Award Winner)
- Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People
- Poet Claudia Rankine’s “Citizen: An American Lyric”